Seth Priebatsch spoke about’ The game layer on top of the world’ on ted.com last year.
He says that the last decade was the decade where the social network was built, this decade is where the Game Framework will be built.
The Game Framework according to him is the motivation tools that influence behavior. The loyalty schemes on websites and other techniques used to influence the people to take certain decisions are actually game dynamics in action.
One of the following slides that he shared was as follows:
It says that the last decade was about connections which was enabled by the Facebook Graph whose construction has reached a peak and a saturation point. The next decade will have a focus on the influencing behavior for which the construction does not have any set foundations and the work has just begun.
I totally agree to this point. If we correlate it to our SEO and other SEM campaigns for websites we can see a clear climb to this next evolutionary step.
- When we work on our landing page dynamics to make a person take a decision to buy a certain product – we are try to influence his decision.
- When the search engines integrate the social results in the SERPs it is kind of influencing the decision of the visitor.
- When the most retweeted post becomes the most read post , it surley says a lot about the influence factor.
- When we talk about posting a tweet, a blog post or a comment at the right time so that we have a maximum reach by keeping in mind all the continent time zones (Like the best time to post is when there are maximum users online i.e when people from Asia, America And Europe are online together) and thereby achieve the set goal we are working on having a better influence.
- The latest which I just came across Man Proposes to Girlfriend via iPad 2 Engraving so you have boyfriends influencing their girlfriends online in a geeky way to say “I Do”
View the video to learn about :
1. How to build the game (Influence) layer ?
2. 4 Game Dynamics which help you to create that layer.
3. Appointment dynamics
4. Influence And Status (Influence Through Social Pressure)
5. Progression Dynamics (You move thru progressively in a granular fashion eg. Linkedin)
6. Communal Discovery (Everyone has to work together to achieve something . The communities which build around a blog are a classic example)
Its all about mind share and influencing people and getting influenced by people once you are on the social scenario of the web. Klout.com which analyzes and rates your Twitter account measures and determines ‘The Standard For Influence’ and scores accordingly. So, we surely are at the infancy stage of the influence dynamics which is used in Games .
Points To Ponder…
Is life becoming a Game
Life has always been a game but we are learning to play it now more efficiently , effectively and globally?