SMX East 2011 conducted from the 13th of Sept. to 15th of Sept. in New York had the agenda focusing on the following categorized topics Day-wise:
Day 1– 13th Sept.
Day 2 – 14th Sept.
Day 3– 15th Sept.
|SMX Boot Camp||Social And Vertical Search||SEO|
|The Big Picture||The Big Picture||Analytics & Conversions|
|Enterprise & In-House||Technical SEO||SoLoMo|
|Best Of SMX Advanced||Paid Search||Paid Search|
|Sponsors And Partners||Sponsors & Partners and Site Clinics||Site Clinics|
The complete agenda can be viewed on http://searchmarketingexpo.com/east/agenda
An SEO conference is a platform for multiple sessions and it is very difficult to make a choice of what to attend but the main highlights and takeaways of what sessions I attended are as follows:
Day 1 – 13th Sept. 2011
The Big Picture Track – The Great Correlation vs. Causation Debate Presented by:
· Eric Enge, Stone Temple Consulting
· Micah Fisher-Kirshner, Become, Inc
· Mitul Gandhi, seoClarity
· Kristine Schachinger, SitesWithoutWalls.com
· Tony Wright, WrightIMC
- Correlation is: A mutual relation between two or more things where one has a measurable effect on the other.
- Causation is: A relationship in which one action or event is the direct consequence of another.
- In every Causal relationship there is a Correlative One, but there is not a causal effect in every correlative one
- We sometimes perceive something to have an effect but it may not have an effect as that can be a misperception.
- The only way to eliminate false positives are is to measure test everything over a period of time with a wide array of data.
- Almost everything in SEO is correlative not causative.
- In causal relationships, you can directly measure that A does CAUSE B
- In correlative relationships, you can only measure the STRENGTH of the effect of A on B
- Correlations are a place to start not an end. Have a sanity check and and question its sensibility before coming to conclusions.
- Before testing be sure of what is the return on your investment to collect and test this data?
- Make sure that you are considering all important variables in time and do not rely only on snapshots in a short time span.
- Be sure you have enough data and factors to run a linear regression
- SEO is on a time line on a linear position. A single trend is not a pattern or a causal relationship.
The Big Picture Track
Panda-Proofing Your Content
· Justin Briggs, Distilled
· Horst Joepen, Searchmetrics
· Heather Lloyd-Martin, SuccessWorks Search Marketing
· Chris Silver Smith, KeyRelevance
- Only 12% of websites in Google index were affected by Panda update – Matt Cutts
- We are content marketers if we have a blog or a site.
- “Panda isn’t simply an algorithm update. It’s a platform for new ways to understand the web and understand user experience.” (Vanessa Fox)
- “It’s not a new algorithm – it’s a new factor.” (Danny Sullivan)
- “It is easier to reliably detect social spam than link spam.” (Stefan Weitz and Maile Ohye)
- Combination of automated metrics and human factors;
- It’s a method for modelling webpages and websites which have certain usage profile combinations, scoring those combos, then using the scores to rank pages. (Chris Silver Smith)
- When you produce cheap content then it is not meeting any goal
- Create Quality content – Search Engines do not pay your bills your customers do.
- Stop asking what Google wants. Find out what your users want.
- Evaluate your content assets
- Plan the Repurpose of content
- Develop an editorial calendar
- Watchdog the quality
- Leverage it when properly planned and evaluate
- Get everyone on the same page about SEO content. This could be a quick discussion – or an in-house training. Consider what works best for your team
Enterprise & In House Track
· Laura Callow, intuit
· Simon Heseltine, AOL Inc.
· Erika Mamber, Demand Media
· Ulli Muenker , Bloomberg
- Use SEO as one of the fundamental building blocks in everything you do on your website.
- Ensure SEO is a part of the DNA of your organization.
- Build buzz and cultivate mindshare.
- Tailor the buzz for the relevant audience and add your spin
- Make it actionable
- Be seen, be heard, be involved
- Educate, Elaborate, Excite, Empower, Evangelize
- Share the SEO why behind the what, because understanding builds a sense of ownership
- If opportunity cost > available resources + cost of vendors Then hire vendors Else don’t hire vendors
- Ensure your team works according to an accountable system for delivery. Boil up to meet company / business objectives and vision